Monday, September 13, 2010

Vida Ala Mexicana - A long time coming

I knew that things were going to be a little bit different in Mexico when halfway through what would later prove to be my last solid shit in over a month I peered down to my right and saw a basket for the disposal of soiled toilet paper. Im not sure why this suprised me as I'd been told about the poor sewage in Mexico and the inability for it to process toilet paper but it was not until I was faced with a basket full off little shit filled paper dumplings that it really sunk in.

Mexico like many developing countries doesn't really do public or occupational health and safety regulations. Bridges are used on the side of cliffs in Puerto Escondido that would be have been shut down many years ago, scooters can be hired via a transaction that takes little over a minute and doesn'teven get close to including a helmet or even a quick "how to" and food is prepared in a way that makes it blatantly obvious that schooling is not only optional but very few have the funds to attend.

The police carry M16s and where body armour. Some of those with said assualt rifles arent even real police for example in Puerto Escondido where you have the "vigilantes" who consist of boys and men between the ages of 14 and 40 who give you looks that have you expecting to have to bribe them for looking at them for too long.

The country itself is breathtaking. Canyons, rivers, waterfalls, beaches, jungles, monkeys, crocodiles, turtles and many more natural beauties that make mexico a very beautiful place to visit. The people on the whole are also fantastic. Non English speaking but fantastic. The women.... "not so much" but still very friendly.

Speaking spanish was abit of a joke. Our general rule of thumb was to say 'si' to everything they said until they stopped replying. In doing this I ordered a scone from KFC, Raspberry flavoured tea from a cafe and saw others get themselves into all sorts of awkward situations.. okay maybe not only others. I feel if I was there for a good 3 months I would pick up quite a lot as you are forced to use it because no-one speaks a word of English. Again reflectant of their poor education system.

The way of life in Mexico is as you might expect very laid back. There is a sense of things getting quiet after lunch for a bit of a siesta although nothing compared to Spain I imagine. But there is also a passion there. Public displays of affection that would sicken even a Frenchman, Firey little mexican (and Italian) men in bars after having a few too many Dos Equis cerveza and people who genuinly care about looking after you.

Like all developing countries with extreme poverty comes crime and drugs are a massive part of that in Mehico. Its funny though. The people obviously dont reaaally wont to be selling drugs. A guy will come up to you an say... "Hey Amigo... fishing tours.. fishing tours..." to which you might reply "No Gracias"... to which he will reply.."Marihuana, cocina, ecstacy." It was unbelievable. Every little entrepenuer can sell you anything. But I love how they start at their most respectable product and go down the list to drugs. Different to Europe where a guy on a bike will walk past you and whipser in your ear. "Weed!" "You want a joint?" and then try to pick your pocket 10 minutes later. Mexicans will just try and grab your bag off you then add it to their list the next day.. "Fishing tours, iPod, camera, Sunglasses, t shirt, backpack, marihuana, cocina, ecstacy."

A seriously crazy place and looking past the challenges I faced with a crook stomach, experiencing a little crime and missing some good quality food I find myself missing the Mexican way. By the way I just want to make it official that after just over a month since I touched down in Mexico city, I made my first plonk about a week ago. Great success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment