Wednesday, August 11, 2010

San Cristobal and a stomach of fire

The slight stomach issues that I thought we made short work of by my pepto bismol tablets returned with vengeance yesterday which resulted in a few 10 to 15 minute sessions on el porcelaino. Slept pretty well on the overnight bus from puerto to san cristobal a lovely little town in the middle of the mountains. But after a serve of eggs and some coffee it was back to el porcelaino for some further one on one time. The hostel we are staying at is a nice little place run in a family home by two really nice locals who have a cute little baby boy. So in return I proceeded to have a little workout in their courtyard and whilst down chin ups on a little ledge ontop of one of the pillars in the archway broke a massive chunk of the ledge off with bits of brick and concrete spilling all over the floor. I informed the owners who were really nice about it but told me that if papa finds out im in big trouble. To this moment I have successfully avoided papa and have organised to pay for repair tomorrow. The workout up to that point was.

100 Hands off floor pushups for time

5:10

Part of:

50 ledge pull ups for time with 20 sit ups every time I broke.

Ledge came down on the 29th rep. Got 12 in the first set then 3 sets of 5. Very awkward due to having to try and wrap legs around/avoid contact with pillar below.

Today we visited a coffee museum which as we are finding to be the case quite common was another lonely planet disappointment. The museum was pretty average and the coffee not too bad but no brother buba velvet. Highlight at this plate was the crepes with nutella sauce which provided great energy for me after not being able to hold much else in few the past 48 hrs. We then went for a stroll along a little street full of cafes and bars where I spotted a subway and my craving for some non mexican food led me to enjoy a 6 inch double meet chicken fillet subway with all the trimmings available. Stomach full and feeling much better (for now). We sat in a Mexican bar and watched the Mexico Spain soccer match with a couple of fanatic barkeeps. The pseudo cobbled/real cobbled streets of Oaxaca and San Cristobal remind me of scenes in movies ive seen set in Europe and are quite great fun to explore.

For now its time to cook dinner, have a shower and maybe head out to find a bar called revolution which has been highly recommended by fellow travellers. It was however also recommended by lonely planet so we await tonight with cautious anticipation.

2 comments:

  1. Hahah!
    Max the Destroyer! Tearing apart Mexico and Mexican families one chinup at a time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just about feel like doing so. this mexican food is killing me!

    ReplyDelete